Dental implants really are a modern miracle. They can restore form and function to a smile that was once damaged, as well as being used to replace any number of missing teeth. Dental implants these days look and function just as another tooth would, and they are a better alternative to dentures or bridgework, for a number of people. Dental implants are kept in place by a small metal post, which helps the implant to work just as any other tooth. They are also designed to look like the natural texture of teeth, helping them to blend in with the rest of your smile.
It can be easy to presume that dental implants are something that is new, but they have been perfected over the past few decades, and they now have an extremely high success rate. Dental implants by Dr. Doris Giraldo will help you to have strong, natural looking, and stable implants, helping you to feel confident again, and get your smile as you want it to be.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Although there are a number of people that want to have dental implants to replace missing teeth or to improve their smile, dental implants aren’t only just about how things look. There are many other benefits to implants, which include:
- Stopping bone loss: When you lose a tooth, even just one, your jawbone doesn’t get the stimulation that it needs in order for it to stay healthy and be strong. So your natural bone can start to reabsorb. If this is left, then over time it can mean that bone loss can change the shape of your face. The benefit of dental implants is that they can recreate the stimulation that a tooth would, halting any bone loss.
- Confident Eating: If you are a patient that currently uses dentures, then you will know how much they can slip, get knocked, and so on. Dental implants are firmly anchored into your mouth, meaning that they act as normal teeth, and can’t slip or move.
- Improved Speech: If you have concerns about speech as a result of tooth loss or from using dentures, then it is important to note that dental implants will help your speech to go back to normal. They are anchored one by one, so they won’t impact speech like dentures might, or like braces might, for example.
- Better Comfort: dental implants can be a long process, as there is more than one procedure to get them in place. However, they tend to be a lot more comfortable than dentures or even partials. For a lot of patients, they just feel like they have their natural teeth back.
- Convenient care: once dental implants have been installed successfully, they won’t need any additional care, other than your normal daily dental health routine. This is a lot more straightforward compared to dentures, as they need to be cleaned, removed, and sanitized daily.
In addition to these benefits, dental implants can be an alternative to partial bridges or to dentures, simply because they do last for life. There will be a lot of time and money saved in the long run with dental implants.
Getting dental implants does involve surgical procedures, that will usually take a few months, as there are a number of stages to go through. A lot of the time involved is to help healing, and waiting for new bone growth in your jaw. So you do need to be prepared that it isn’t an instant journey with dental implants. Other points to note is that patients shouldn’t smoke through the dental implant process, and there can be some medications that can disqualify you from being a good candidate for the procedure. But you can talk these things through with us; most people will be able to have dental implants.
The process can be lengthy, but here is a quick overview of what to expect:
- The first step is to have a dental consultation with us to see if you’ll be a suitable candidate for dental implants. The visit will involve a comprehensive oral exam, as well as X-rays, and measurements.
- All mouths are different, and sometimes there may need to be a tooth extraction or bone grafts in order to qualify you for dental implants. This is the next step in the process, to make sure that you’ll be ready. In some instances, you could have dental implants placed on the same day as you have an extraction. However, if you need a bone graft, then it can be up to six months healing time before the implants can be installed.
- Once your mouth is ready and healed, you will be ready to have your implants placed. These are small titanium rods that are implanted into the bone. Depending on how well that goes, Dr. Giraldo may give your mouth more time to heal before the dental crowns can be fitted. Either way, the posts need a couple of months to integrate and heal, before they can be completed.
- After the implant posts have been placed, you will have some regular appointments with us to check how things are going. If you have pain or there is any sign that there is an infection, then contact us right away.
- Once all of your mouth has healed, you will be ready for final impressions. During this appointment, Dr. Giraldo will take impressions of your gum tissue, and then go through final details like tooth color.
- After the crowns are back in from being made just for you, you will come in to have them fitted. Then you will be able to talk and eat as normal, because your final crowns will be in place.
Make an appointment with us today
If you have a generally healthy jaw and are committed to making the effort to take care of your smile, then contact us today to see how we can help. The majority of people can have dental implants placed successfully, so why not get in touch to talk with our team today? Your new smile could be closer than you think.